Thursday, February 14, 2013

Be eager in seeking `Ilm

بـسـم الله والحـمـد لله والـصلاة والـسـلام عــلى رسـول الله ، وبـعـد

Hishaam bin `Urwah said: My father (`Urwah*) used to say:

“Among the people, we used to be small (in age), but now we have grown big. As for you, now, are small, but soon you too will grow up. So seek knowledge so that you have the upper hand over the people and that they are in need of you.”

[Al-Faqeeh wal-Mutafaqqih of Khateeb al-Baghdaadee (2/178)]

* `Urwah رحمه الله was the son of Zubair bin al-`Awaam رضي الله عنه. His mother was Asmaa’ bint Abi Bakr رضي الله عنها and his aunt was Umm al-Mu’mineen `Aaishah رضي الله عنها.


`Abdullaah ibn `Abbaas رضي الله عنهما said: After the death of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم, I told a person (from the Ansaar): “Let us learn from the companions of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم as they are many.” He replied back: “By Allaah! It is amazing O Ibn `Abbaas. Do you feel that the people are in your need while you still see that the companions of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم (around you)?” So I overlooked his saying and went in pursuit, and followed the companions of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم. (It happened that) I came to know that one of the persons has heard a Hadeeth from the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم. I went to him during the time of the afternoon siesta and spread my cloak in front of his door. The wind blew dust on me (as I sat waiting for him). Coming out of his house and seeing me in that condition he said: “O cousin of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم! What's the matter with you? If you had sent for me I would have come to you.” I said: “I am the one who should come to you, for knowledge is sought, it just does not come (on its own).” I asked him about the Hadeeth and learnt from him. Later on, after the demise of the companions of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم, that (Ansaari) man used to see me and that the people were surrounding me and were dependent upon me (for knowledge); he used to say: “He is more clever than me.” [Majma` al-Zawaaid (9/280)]

No comments:

Post a Comment